Post-op Patient Information: Sclerotherapy
If you have undergone Sclerotherapy at the Vein Healthcare Center, it is important to be informed about post-operative requirements. Following guidelines for care after your treatment will help promote the most effective healing so you can return to your daily routine and start experiencing a comfortable, symptom-free life as soon as possible.
After Your Sclerotherapy Procedure
- Immediately following the procedure, you will be asked to put on your compression stockings. Compression stockings should be worn between 7 and 14 days, depending on the size of veins treated. Stockings should be worn anytime you are on your feet. They do not need to be worn to sleep.
- Please walk at least 30 minutes daily for the first 2 weeks after the procedure.
- It is common to experience itching in the treated leg. Itching is temporary, and will resolve in approximately 1 hour.
- Pain or discomfort following treatment is highly variable from patient to patient, and while some patients may experience some pain, some may feel no discomfort at all following the procedure. In most cases, tenderness over the treated area is completely normal. With any discomfort, elevate your legs, use heat, and take a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medication of your choice. If the pain persist or does not improve, please call us at 207-221-7799.
- You may return to most activities immediately following your procedure. However, you should avoid heavy lifting, strenuous physical activity while standing, and the use of hot tubs during the first five days following your Sclerotherapy.
- Approximately two weeks following the procedure, you may feel hard bumps in the area of the treated vein. These should resolve over time and are expected to disappear over the course of several months. If you experience any pain during this time, or if these bumps become tender, again use heat and elevation to control discomfort.
Your Return Visit
Patients are asked to return for rechecks and possible additional treatments to complete therapy. Sclerotherapy typically requires anywhere from 3 to 6 treatments, with each session occurring over the course of a 6 to 8-week period.
Do you have questions?
Your care and comfort is our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns following your procedure, or before your return appointment, please call our office at 207-221-7799.